Exercise 1: Match verbs 1-5 with particles A-E to make phrasal verbs
|1||stand / move / get||A||back|
|2||lay / sit / keep||B||out|
|3||run / get||C||down|
|4||go / turn||D||into|
|5||run / go||E||up|
Exercise 2: Complete the sentences. Choose the correct particles.
1. We enjoyed it and would really like to go on / in / back one day.
2. Could you run into / away / in and get my glasses?
3. It started raining so they turned out/on / back and went home.
4. Chloe went on / off/ into the shop and bought some water.
5. Grandma walked slowly, but the children ran on / with / onto.
6. Zack went onto / with / in and ordered a drink.
Exercise 3: Match sentence halves 1-6 with A-F to make complete sentences.
|1||Mrs Todd came running out||A||to get ourselves up.|
|2||A lot of the people||B||and scattered all over the floor.|
|3||I remember running into||C||were turned back at the border.|
|4||I went back to the kitchen||D||and stood at the side of the road.|
|5||The pile of books fell down||E||the playroom in tears.|
|6||We had until 7:15||F||to continue cooking.|
Exercise 4: Match each phrasal verb 1-4 with its opposite meaning A-D.
|1||go in||A||move down|
|2||move up||B||stand up|
|3||sit down||C||run out|
|4||run in||D||go out|
Exercise 5: Choose the best answer to complete the sentences.
1. After a while we all sat down / stood up / fell down to eat.
2. Someone fell down / stood up / went into in the middle of the hall and asked a question.
3. She went into /sat down / got up and walked across the room.
4. She laid the book down / moved the book up / ran the book out on the table.
5. I ran out / sat down / went into and slammed the door.
6. I need to get off / get out / turn back of New York for a while.
Exercise 6: Complete the sentences with the correct form of the phrasal verbs in the box.
|get off||run in||move up||lay down||get up||get out|
1. Brody _____ of bed at 8:30 this morning.
2. I need to _____ early tomorrow for work.
3. He _____ through the open door and sat down in the living room.
4. I saw something _____ that tree over there.
5. I took a fifty dollar bill and _____ it _____ on the counter.
6. He _____ his stool and went to the door.
For Questions in PDF format, click English Vocab-03
- Exercise 1: 1-E, 2-C, 3-B, 4-A, 5-D
- Exercise 2: 1-back, 2-in, 3-back, 4-into, 5-on, 6-in
- Exercise 3: 1-D, 2-C, 3-E, 4-F, 5-B, 6-A
- Exercise 4: 1-D, 2-A, 3-B, 4-D
- Exercise 5: 1-sat down, 2-stood up, 3-got up, 4-laid the book down, 5-ran out, 6-get out
- Exercise 6: 1-got out, 2-get up, 3-ran in, 4-moving up, 5-laid(it)down, 6-got off