This practice set is beneficial for candidates who are preparing for TGT English or PGT English upcoming exams for DSSSB, KVS, NVS, HTET, RPSC etc.
1. Who wrote ‘A Room of One’s Own’ (1929), which advocates a balance between male self-realization and female self-annihilation?
a. Elaine Showalter
b. Robin Lakolt
c. Virginia Woolf (a)
d. Simone de Beauvoir
2. Which among the following novels by Salman Rushdie was published in 2005?
a. The Moor’s Last Sigh
b. Shalimar the Clown (a)
d. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
3. Which of the following is the famous work of Boccaccio?
b. The Decameron (a)
c. A Collection of Sonnets
d. The Divine Comedy
4. R K Narayan created the fictitious town of ‘Malgudi’ which is similar to:
a. TS Eliot’s ‘Wasteland’
b. Pope’s ‘London’
c. Thomas Hardy’s ‘Wessex’ (a)
d. Geoffrey Chaucer’s ‘Canterbury’
5. ‘Things Fall Apart’ and ‘The Arrow of God’, the classical studies of Igbo society during the colonial rule, are authored by:
a. Wole Soyinka
b. James Ngugi
c. Chinua Achebe (a)
d. Okot p’Bitek
6. Many people find the theory of evolution ___.
a. incredible (a) impossible or very difficult to believe
7. Everyone has red and white ___ in his body.
b. corpuscles (b) any of the red or white cells found in blood
8. Boris Karloff lacks ___ qualities.
a. amiable (a) friendly and pleasant
9. ___ is the birthstone color for March.
a. aquamarine (a) a pale greenish-blue colour
10. The Catholic religion has many ___ which reflect its religious beliefs.
b. creeds (b) a set of beliefs or principles
11. Out of the following options, choose the most appropriate usage to fill in the blank:
I live a few yards __ the bus stop.
b. from (a)
12. Choose the option that best expresses the meaning of the highlighted idiom/phrase:
I cannot ‘stand on ceremony’ with my friends.
a. like ceremonies
b. get personal
c. avoid being invited
d. be formal (a)
13. choose the most appropriate usage to fill in the blank:
India’s strategy for double digit economic growth in the 11th Plan period is predicted ______ a minimum 4% growth in the agriculture sector.
a. in the expectation through
b. in expectation of (a)
c. on the expectation cross
d. on the expectation over
14. choose the most appropriate tense that best fills in to complete the given sentence:
He ____ when he ____ the scholarship.
a. was disappointing / didnot win
b. was disappointed / did not won
c. was disappointed / did not win (a)
d. had been disappointed / has not win
15. Choose the correct form of adverb for the given sentence:
This is __ the time to raise such questions.
a. so often
c. scarcely (a)
16. Special needs education is the type of education:
a. Given to person with disabilities. (a)
b. Given to people from remote areas.
c. Provided to intelligent people.
d. Established by colonial masters.
17. The Stanford-Binet scale of intelligence was first published in the year:
a. 1916 (a)
18. Which of the following indicates the quality of education in a school?
a. Text-books and Teaching-learning material
b. Infrastructural facilities at the school
c. Student achievement level (a)
d. Classroom systems
19. Which of the following teachers can be identified with authoritarian teaching style?
a. Laissez-faire teacher
b. Democratic teacher
c. Indifferent teacher
d. Direct instruction teacher (a)
20. Who was the pioneer of classical conditioning?
b. Pavlov (a)
Answers : 1-c , 2-b, 3-b, 4-c, 5-c, 6-a, 7-b, 8-a, 9-a, 10-b, 11-b, 12-d, 13-b, 14-c, 15-c, 16-a, 17-a, 18-c, 19-d, 20-b