This practice set is beneficial for candidates who are preparing for TGT English or PGT English upcoming exams for DSSSB, KVS, NVS, HTET, RPSC etc.
1. Which novel of EM Forster deals with the conflict between two different cultures?
a. A Passage to India
b. The Longest Journey
c. Two Cheers for Democracy
d. Where Angels Fear to Tread
2. By 1824 who among the following novelists confidently defined the novel as ‘a fictitious narrative . . . accommodated to the ordinary train of human events’?
a. Daniel Defoe
b. Hendry Fielding
c. Samuel Richardson
d. Sir Walter Scott
3. David Copperfield had a troubled childhood due to the actions of:
a. Edward and Jane Murdstone
b. Tommy Traddles and Mr. Micawber
c. Spenlow and Jorkins
d. Dr. Strong and Anne
4. Henry Vaughan belongs to the category of __________poets.
5. Along with Samuel Richardson, _____ and _____ are considered to be the earliest English novelists.
a. Philip Sidney, John Bunyan
b. Daniel Defoe, Henry Fielding
c. Walter Scott, John Wycliffe
d. Edmund Spenser, Ben Jonson
6. Select the word that is similar in meaning (SYNONYM) to the word given below.
7. Select the most appropriate meaning of the given idiom.
a. person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate
b. A visual presentation is far more descriptive than words
c. A very mild punishment
d. A false invention
8. Fill in the blank with the most appropriate choice.
The lady in red had an ___ smile which made all the men curious about her.
9. Select the most appropriate ‘one word ‘ for the expressions given below.
The study of earthquakes and the phenomenon associated with it
10. Choose the correctly spelt word
11. Select the correct sequence.
This is a very real,
P. wonderful camaraderie and
Q. magnificent scenery,
R. but safe, adventure with
S. truly unforgettable ancient art.
12. Find out the error.
‘My, aren’t you the night owl tonight; the boy who has been dancing with the princess and I all night.’
a. My, aren’t you the night owl
b. No error
c. tonight; the boy who has been
d. dancing with the princess and I all night
13. Improve the highlighted section.
‘A few minutes “latter the eldest” sister came out with a pale hard face.’
a. beyond the elder
b. No improvement
c. later the eldest
d. latter the oldest
14. Find the part of the given sentence that has an error in it. If there is no error, choose ‘No error’.
I am really (1)/ ashamed off what (2)/ I did to you last night. (3)/ No error (4)
a. I am really
b. ashamed off what
c. No error
d. I did to you last night.
15. Find the part of the given sentence that has an error in it. If there is no error, choose ‘No error’.
Many of the largest food (1)/ transport links (2)/ was within California. (3)/ No error (4)
a. transport links
b. Many of the largest food
c. was within California.
d. No error
16. The systematic presentation and practice of carefully selected and graded grammatical structures of English in effective and meaningful situations is known as the _________approach.
17. A/An ___________is considered to be the smallest grammatical unit in a language.
d. minimal pair
18. A type of test where blanks have to be filled in a passage from which there have been systematic or random deletions is called a _____test.
19. A/An ___ sentence expresses a command, order or request.
20. In English Language Teaching, ‘real life texts’ are known as ___.
a. accurate materials
b. textual materials
c. offline materials
d. authentic materials
Answers : 1-a , 2-d, 3-a, 4-c, 5-b, 6-a, 7-a, 8-d, 9-a, 10-c, 11-b, 12-d, 13-c, 14-b, 15-c, 16-b, 17-a, 18-b, 19-c, 20-d